MIAMI — The winner of a roach-eating contest in South Florida died shortly after downing dozens of the live bugs as well as worms, authorities said Monday. About 30 contestants ate the insects during Friday night’s contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach about 40 miles north of Miami. The grand prize was a python.Edward Archbold, 32, of West Palm Beach became ill shortly after the contest ended and collapsed in front of the store, according to a Broward Sheriff’s Office statement released Monday. He was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead. Authorities were waiting for results of an autopsy to determine a cause of death.
I believe the great philosopher Bodhisattva summed it up best. It’s not tragic to die doing what you love. Like sure on the outside dying in roach eating contest seems like a horrible way to go, but here is what you have to remember. The grand prize was a giant python. Did you hear what I said? A giant python. If you’re not willing to lay it all on the line for that then what are you willing to die for? I’m sure if Big Ed Archbold had to do it over again he’d do it the same exact way. Sweet dreams fair prince. Sweet dreams. Tonight I tip a 40 for you….