John Daly went on 790 The Zone in Georgia, ostensibly to talk about work he’s been doing with draft prospect QB Ryan Mallett or some such crap. And fortunately for all of us, the topic swung around to the much more interesting topic of why Tiger Woods was touching everything but the trap with his sand wedge all those years he was married:
- 790AM: Did you ever talk to Tiger?
- John: I did, last year at the PGA and what we talked about–I couldn’t even fathom of telling you guys because it’s a personal conversation. But it made me relieved of what Tiger was going through….does he have a reason? Yes. And that reason is something I don’t want to talk about. But I told him if you would have come out and told the world what was going on (after the night of the incident) and not listen to your agents…this story would have ended in one day. And he says, I know, I know, I just had to listen to everybody… You’re looking at a guy all the way to his college days, it was golf, golf, golf..He didn’t have a chance to find out what woman we’re like…until his late teens, 20′s.
- 790AM: Once you put that ring on your finger, you don’t get that opportunity anymore…
- John: Well, you should if your wife is good to you and makes loves to you when you want to be made love to….my exes, they didn’t want to have sex anymore. And when that happens, if you’re not going to give it to me, I’m going to get it from somewhere else. Is that adultery? Maybe so. But from what I understand, when you’re married, they’re supposed to give it to you.
- 790AM: Can Tiger Woods go up to a podium or a microphone, and say, here’s the deal, I’m not getting it anymore and quite honestly I’ve had enough?
- John: Exactly. That’s what I did.
See, this is exactly what I love about a guy like John Daly. For all his faults, you get no phoniness. No spin. No internal editing. No sense of when to keep his mouth shut. Just pure, unfiltered honesty. And of course he’s 100% correct. If Tiger had just told the world the truth instead of hiding out for two months then holding that laughably awkward fake press conference and reading some parsed statement prepared for him by the lawyers and marketing department from Nike, he’s have the respect of everyone. Instead, he’s a laughingstock with no majors since this all blew up on him.
Seriously. If Tiger had come out and said “The only mistake I made was marrying for looks. I had no idea once she pumped out a couple of kids she was going to go all frigid Swedish Ice Princess on me. Here I was, one of the world’s most recognizable figures, the first billionaire athlete, in the prime of my life with women throwing themselves at me, and I was reduced to jerking it in the bathroom like a 15 year old loser because she was never in the mood. I like my wife and I love being a father. Which is why I didn’t go out and have a ‘romance’ with anyone. I didn’t ‘cheat.’ I banged sluts I didn’t care about because I wanted sex and Elin didn’t. You want to condemn me, condemn me. But I apologize for nothing.” There’s not a man in America who wouldn’t have applauded him for it. And any woman who still held it against him would just be admitting she’s a frigid, dried up shrew herself and no one would care what they say.
So bravo, John Daly. If only Tiger had listened to your sage advice, he’d probably be closing in on Nicklaus’ 18 Majors instead of still trying to find himself. And ladies of the world, let this be a lesson to you all to keep your menfolk happy because there’s plenty of Rachel Uchitel’s still out there if you don’t. @jerrythornton1